Here are a few things you need to know about the Community Radio Act that was recently passed by Congress on December 18, 2010:
1. “minorities own only 7 percent of all local television and radio stations. Women represent more than half of the population, but own only 6 percent of all local television and radio stations. LPFM stations, while not a solution to the overall inequalities in minority and female broadcast ownership..”
2. This legislation opens up radio spectrum to thousands of local independent radio stations (also known as LPFM).
3. “The addition of more Low Power FM (LPFM) stations will increase local civic engagement, diversify the airwaves, support local music and culture, assist during emergencies, expand religious expression, and provide a platform for the voices of underrepresented communities to be heard.”
4. These stations must be FCC-approved “based on the needs of the local community..”
5. Anyone can become a community broadcaster now. Dreams can happen. Make it happen.
For a full view of the bill click here: FULL BILL TEXT