Here it is, folks. The Best Mixtapes of 2012. I’m interested in what your favorites are too, so don’t forget to leave a comment. The disclaimer is located at the bottom of my post. I hope you enjoy and with no further ado, I bid to you, the best mixtapes of 2012.
Honorable Mention: Fabolous’ The Soul Tape 2, Curren$y’s #PriestAndretti, Wiz Khalifa’s #TaylorAllderdice, Yo Gotti’s Cocaine Muzik 7, Action Bronson’s Rare Chandeliers
- Priest Andretti with the sampled skits from the old school films is a smash. Plus, Curren$y is always great with putting out mixtape after mixtape after mixtape. We’re still waiting on the Wiz/Spitta collab though.
5. Gucci Mane – Trap Back, I’m Up, & Trap God
- Gucci Mane blessed the traps all across the country with three mixtapes this year after his release from Prison back in December of ’11. Aside from the ever-going feud and beef with other Atlanta rappers primarily Young Jeezy, Gucci is putting the RAP back in the Trap. My personal favorite out of the three is I’m Up. (RIP Slim Dunkin)!
4. Chief Keef’s Back from the Dead
- These bitches love Sosa. And I do too. There’s a little saying that goes: Don’t shoot the messenger. Well, people are violent, not the text so there’s no need to hate on Keef. 17 year old Chief Keef embodies everything gangster about Chicago. With his ad-lib #BangBang, Keef will be releasing his debut album later this month. Chi-town’s murder rate has surpassed the average body count this year. He’s the trending topic, 2013 watch your lady steady jock him. [Notable tracks: Don’t Like, My Niggas, 3Hunna]
3. Donald Glover’s Royalty
- Haha (laughed out loud). Haha (only because a comedian is on a hottest rap mixtape of the year list). 2012 was a great year for Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino. The self-proclaimed nerd appeared on BET’s 2012 Hip-Hop Awards on the freestyle cyphers. He also released Royalty featuring rappers such as: Ghostface Killah, Nipsey Hustle, Schoolboy Q, RZA, Danny Brown, and ballers like Blake Griffin (yeah, the actual baller). Anway, Glover is beginning to drop the (too black for the whites – too white for the blacks gimmick) and is finally swag rapping. My President is black. My Prius is blue, nigga. [Notable tracks: Black Faces, Unnecessary, One Up]
2. Meek Mill’s Dreamchasers 2
- I’m not truly a fan of Meek, but the release of his follow up to 2011’s Dreamchasers put him in a position to drop his debut, Dreams and Nightmares. Mr. Philly, signed to Maybach Music Group, has some audio dope for the streets and as you’ll hear him rap, He did it without an album. [Notable tracks: Amen, A1 Everything, House Party]
1. Dom Kennedy’s Yellow Album
- I mean, hands down – this mixtape should be number one on any and every best of hip-hop mixtape I see. This is one of the best music projects of the year. West Coast rapper, Dom recruits Rick Ross, Kendrick Lamar, Freddie Gibbs, and Too $hort to put together a must have mixtape. Why does this mixtape deserve to be the best of 2012? Listen to it and you tell me (in the C-Section)! [Notable tracks: 1:25, 5.0 Conversation, My Type of Party, We Ball]